Hungarian wines produce the goods at the 2014 Vinitaly Wine Fair
A relatively small number of prestigious commendations were very carefully awarded to recipients from 30 countries after 40 hours of tastings and assessments. Five levels of merit: Superior Gold, Gold, Silver and Bronze as well as "special mention" awards are also presented to the best winemakers, and of these, Hungary managed to score 7 such mentions.
There were 5 special mentions in the category of still white wines of 2013:
- ALIGVÁROM ("I can hardly wait") 2013, NYAKAS CELLARS,
- BADACSONYI OLASZRIZLING "ARANYMETSZÉS" ("Perfect mix") 2013, VARGA WINERY.
- BALATONI SAUVIGNON BLANC 2013, VARGA WINERY
- BUDA SAUVIGNON BLANC 2013, NYAKAS CELLARS,
- TOKAJI FÉLSZÁRAZ SEMI DRY "SÁRGAMUSKOTÁLY" (Muscat Lunel) 2013
One special mention in the category of still white wines from 2012 or earlier:
- MÁTRAI HÁRSLEVELU "FRIZ" ("Frieze")2008, BORPALOTA KFT.
And one special mention, the only one of the seven for a red wine, in the category of still red wines from with 3-4 year vintage (2011-2010)
- CAB. SAUVIGNON VILLANYI "II" 2011, G. HALASI BORKERESKEDELMI KFT / HALASI CELLAR, DINNYEBERKI
These awards are a real mark of prestige and are so much sought after, that they are often subsequently added to the labelling of the wines!