Aggtelek National Park - Treasures and adventures
This magical stalagmite fairytale land of Baradla Cave, the most magnificent dripstone cave of the temperate zone is undeniably an attractive spot for everyone. Baradla Cave however is not the only attraction of the National Park, which is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Besides cave tours above ground guided walks on foot, horse or bicycle, walks in villages and handicraft programmes help the visitors to get acquainted with the natural and cultural heritage of the Aggtelek karst region. Those interested may also learn about and practice traditional bread baking.
Did you know …
– Aggtelek National Park was originally designated primarily in order to conserve its inanimate natural assets?
– It is the only World Heritage Site in Hungary to gain the coveted designation in the natural (as opposed to cultural) heritage category?
– At 16 miles, Baradla-Domica is the longest cave system in Hungary, and at 62 feet, Csillagvizsgáló (literally "Stargazer") is the tallest stalagmite?
– Th is is the only place where the protected golden-drop grows, a plant so rare it is listed in the International Red Data Book?
– Th is is the designated site of gene preservation of the Hungarian stock of the ancient and distinctive Hucul breed of mountain horse.
Demonstration sites and Nature trails
Baradla Cave: 1, 2, 4, 5 & 7-hour cave tours graded from easy to diffi cult; Open:1st April to 30th September 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and 1st October to 31st March 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Rákóczi Cave: cave of pea shaped stones and crystal clear lakes. Open: 1st April to 30th September 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and 1st October to 31st March 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Vass Imre Cave: special dripstones. Open:1st April to 30th September 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and 1st October to 31st March 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Béke Cave, Kossuth Cave and Meteor Cave: adventure tour for small groups by appointment. Guided land tours at Jósvafő, Aggtelek and Mohos-tavak at Kelemér.
Nature trails: Baradla 7.5 km, Tohonya-Kuriszlán 10 km, Fürkész 1.5 km, Szádvár 4.5 km, Bódva-völgy 2.5 km, "In Harmony with Nature" 4 km. Kúria Study Centre: land programs, lectures on environmental protection, open air school programs.
H-3759 Aggtelek, Baradla oldal 1. Tel.: +36 48/503-000
Permanent exhibitions, Nature trails in Zemplén Area
Land house at Bodrogkováralja
Nature trail at Regéc Várhegy: 1 km
Nature trail by canoe at Bodrogzug: 5 km